Thursday, July 8, 2010

Back to school

I signed up for the Fall semester at our Community college in Lansing. Many years ago I earned many credits and never used them for anything in particular. General Motors paid so I took anything and everything. I was curious about so much! Here are some of the classes I took.
Intro to Law
Math
Diesel Technology
Auto electrical Theory I & II
Auto Airconditioning
Weight lifting
Yoga
Many more I can't even remember! 
I am signing up for,well,  signing lol! I have always wanted to learn sign language.
As a youngster I loved reading. One of the books was on Helen Keller. I studied the finger chart in the back of the book and taught myself to sign "Hi, my name is Mary" Kind of silly when you think that that would start a one sided conversation lol! So here I am 50 yrs later taking a course in it. Crazy eh?
 

4 comments:

  1. very cool! its good that you want to continue to learn. i on the other hand, am way to freaking lazy to take a class in anything! LOL! i learned how to sign the alphabet in elementary school and still know most of it. i get confused with d, p, q and f. i think i know them, my hand seems to want to make the shape, but my mind questions it. i just need to see a chart and then it will all come back. have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I once took some ASL hoping to become a terp, but didn't finish...wish I had. I really hope you enjoy it. I think it's a beautiful language. Deaf culture fascinates me. One of the most fun ways I learned was a suggestion from my instructors: sign along to songs you know, like when you're listening to the radio - just sign the words you know. After just one course you will be amazed at how much of a song you can "sing" in ASL! As Barb said, Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - Lemme tell you something funny about my very first class. The instructor taught us "cuss" words...some of them can be close in movement and handshape to other signs we'd be learning and she wanted to be sure we knew the naughty ones and didn't accidentally use them!

    ReplyDelete