Monday, November 8, 2010

My mind is floating back to Italy

I have been looking at some of my pictures of Florence. I am remembering how the city invigorated me. I never tired of walking and looking at everything. Why am I now so dam bogged down and being lazy? 
I was fascinated by  every nook & cranny.I need to find that passion again!
Our apartment was a 2 story walk up (plenty of exercise every day)!. I was surprised how modern looking it was. Our apartment in Paris a few yrs back was more traditional, with tiny fireplace,tiny bathroom, tiny everything, but oh so French lol!! That was a 3 story walk up. I can never get used to the long windows in Europe. None have screens. Windows were often open all day. I kept thinking a pigeon would fly in!
The refrigerators were tiny. Food was bought fresh every day so they rarely needed the space for storage.
I think the thing that I found weird was the lack of cloths dryers. There was a tiny washing machine. Cloths were often hung outside the apartments on cloths lines or draped on balconies. Jeans were out of the question. They would mildew before they would dry! I see why they mostly were black. Who would know that you were wearing the same unwashed stuff lol! 
Seriously, I was impressed how locals were always dressed to the T. 
I loved watching the older gentlemen strut down the street in their decked out cloths. They walked straight and tall, like they owned the town. The Ladies mostly wore dresses and skirts. They too looked elegant. They didn't necessarily have fancy cloths, but they sure walked like it!
Not one sweat pant,baseball cap,tennis shoes, or boob hang-out! How refreshing lol!

 

1 comment: